HURLERS FROM EIGHT counties that lit up the championship action in the 1990s will be honoured in Croke Park this Sunday on All-Ireland final day.
Traditionally the jubilee team is honoured 25 years on from their triumph, in between the All-Ireland minor and senior deciders.
Kilkenny were Liam MacCarthy Cup victors in 1992 and 1993, and after they were recognised last year, the GAA have opted to salute the star hurlers of the 1990s this year.
Offaly, Clare and Wexford each have three players apiece in the side. Martin Hanamy, Brian Whelehan and Johnny Dooley represent the Faithful while Brian Lohan, Seanie McMahon and Jamesie O’Connor are the Banner trio. The Wexford players selected are Damien Fitzhenry, Liam Dunne and Martin Storey.
Ciaran Carey and Gary Kirby are the Limerick duo to be honoured with Cork’s Brian Corcoran, Galway’s Michael Coleman, Kilkenny’s DJ Carey and Tipperary’s Michael Cleary completing the side.
A group of senior GAA correspondents under the chairmanship of GAA President John Horan selected the team.
The players honoured won a combined total of 26 All-Ireland senior hurling medals and 54 All-Star hurling awards during their careers. They will be guests of the GAA on Sunday and will be presented to the crowd in between the minor and senior finals.
Hurling Team of the 1990s
1. Damien Fitzhenry (Wexford – Duffry Rovers)
2. Brian Corcoran (Cork – Erins Own)
3. Brian Lohan (Clare – Wolfe Tones)
4. Martin Hanamy (Offaly – St Rynagh’s)
5. Brian Whelahan (Offaly – Birr)
6. Seánie McMahon (Clare – St Joseph’s Doora Barefield)
7. Liam Dunne (Wexford – Oulart the Ballagh)
8. Ciarán Carey (Limerick – Patrickswell)
9. Michael Coleman (Galway – Abbeyknockmoy)
10. Martin Storey (Wexford – Oulart the Ballagh)
11. Gary Kirby (Limerick – Patrickswell)
12. Jamesie O’Connor (Clare – St Joseph’s Doora Barefield)
13. Michael Cleary (Tipperary – Nenagh Éire Óg)
14. DJ Carey (Kilkenny – Young Irelands)
15. Johnny Dooley (Offaly – Seir Kieran)
The selectors were: John Horan (Uachtarán CLG), Martin Breheny (Irish Independent), Sean Moran (Irish Times), Michael Lyster (RTÉ TV), Brian Carthy (RTÉ Radio), Jim O’Sullivan (formerly Irish Examiner), Martán Ó Ciardha (Iar RnaG), Sean Bán Breathnach (RnaG).
The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!
Click Here: mens nrl rugby jerseys